Kefalonia island , more than 300 years ago, a strong earthquake revealed the entrance to a miracle of nature: Drogarati Cave, a work of art, an astonishing marvel of more than 150 million years old, crafted gradually by nature. Orange and yellow stalactites hang from the roof like curtains while vitreous stalagmites emerge to form spacious chambers.
The stalactites and stalagmites have been created from the rain, which comes through the rocky level of the cave corroding it and depositing the elements of the earth on the edge of the formations though the years.
The big hall of the cave (900m2), is called “Sala of Apotheosis” because of its spectacular acoustics. When Maria Callas visited the cave, got excited from the sound quality and desired to sing here. Soon, that’s what she did, with few hundreds of people attending. Since then, many famous artists have performed in this fascinating hall.
Inside the cavern, the temperature is lower, a refreshing delight in the heat of the summer. Be prepared during cold, winter days!
Περισσότερα σε αυτή την κατηγορία:
- Drogarati Cave: Descend the steps and an atmospheric subterranean world awaits you
- 20 rare coloured Kefalonian postcards from the 1910 - 1920 period
- Kefalonia honored its patron Saint Gerasimos (images - video)
- Aggalaki Cave. The diamond of all caves in Kefalonia (pictures)
- The secret beach Fteri in Kefalonia (video)