Beautiful summer evening on the waterfront of Lixouri with quaint shops and the square next to the sea .
Lixouri is the main town on the peninsula of Paliki in the island of Kefalonia, one of the Ionian Islands of western Greece. Lixouri is the second largest community in Kefalonia after Argostoli and before Sami and is the capital of the small peninsula. It is located south of Fiskardo, west of Argostoli.
The city was founded when citizens of Pale/Pali found a new location for a town. The old city was abandoned completely by the 16th century. The oldest document which contains the name "Lixouri" was sent in 1534 by local authorities to the Senate of Venice. In the 19th century Lixouri was a popular tourist destination; Richard Strauss visited the town. Many houses were destroyed in the earthquakes on January 23, 1867 and in August 1953. In the early 1950s the Royal Family of Greece sent their children for summer holidays to Lixouri. In the 1990s Lixouri became again a popular tourist destination and some larger hotels were built south of the town near the beaches.
Περισσότερα σε αυτή την κατηγορία:
- Kefalonia amongst the 19 best islands of Greece
- Makris Gialos is full of people (pictures)
- The magnificent full moon of July in Argostoli (images)
- Cultural Summer in Kefalonia. See where you can go from the 11th to the 16th of July 2017
- The exotic beach of Vouti with the turquoise waters in Kefalonia (pictures)